Military City USA
One in eight residents in the San Antonio region is tied to the military (250,000 veterans and 80,000 active-duty personnel), and offers a diverse patient population and distinct opportunities for current students and graduates of all five UIW Schools of Health — Pharmacy, Nursing and Health Professions, Optometry, Osteopathic Medicine and Physical Therapy.
Military City USA At-A-Glance
- Joint Base San Antonio (JBSA) is largest joint base in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and is comprised of four primary locations: JBSA Randolph, Fort Sam Houston, Camp Bullis, and Lackland Air Force Base.
- San Antonio bases serve as a major hub for medical training, flight training, cyber operations, surveillance, and military intelligence.
- JBSA is the largest single employer in San Antonio.
Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC), located on Fort Sam Houston, is the Army's largest and busiest medical center. It plays a critical role in patient care, graduate medical education and research, as well as taking care of wounded service members. BAMC includes:
- The Army's largest in-patient hospital (425-beds) in a, 1.5 million-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility.
- A certified Level 1 Trauma Center, the center receives more than 4,000 emergency room visits each month.
- The (40-bed) S. Army Institute of Surgical Research Burn Center.
- Some 58-outpatient specialty clinics record a million patient visits each year.
- Over 60 accredited educational programs that include 25 graduate medical education programs, eight nursing programs, 18 enlisted allied health and medic phase II training programs along with additional programs in administration and allied health specialties.